Looking for a healthy, quick & easy side dish for a busy weeknight dinner? Look no further, we’ve got you covered with this simple yummy veggie combo.
A staple the world over, green beans are inexpensive, low-fat, and an excellent source of protein. Their name in Japanese is ingen mame, which comes from the Chinese Buddhist monk Ingen, who brought the first seeds of the bean to Japan.
Corn adds both vitamins and some sweetness to the dish, but it also increases the challenge of eating it with chopsticks. Go for the slow, kernel-by-kernel method, or just dig in with a spoon. Hey, this is healthy food and we’re not ones to judge 😉
Green Beans and Corn with Sesame
- 100 g green beans
- ½ cup canned corn drained
- 3 tbsp black sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp sugar (seasoning)
- 1½ tbsp soy sauce (seasoning)
- 「PREP」Wash the beans and cut off both ends.
- Put the beans in a small pot of water and boil until cooked, about 5 minutes.While boiling, partially grind the sesame seeds in a suribachi or with a mortar and pestle.
- Drain the water, cut the beans into 3 cm long pieces and put in a mixing bowl.
- Add the corn, seasoning ingredients and partially ground sesame seeds, and mix well to combine.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let us know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @oishiwashokurecipes on Instagram and hashtag it #oishiwashokurecipes.