Niku dofu, or meat and tofu, is a simple nimono (simmered dish) made by the working class. The tofu adds to the protein content while absorbing all of the cooking flavours. That means this quick and easy dish is both nutritious and delish!
We usually prefer the silky soft kinu tofu for most recipes, but the firmer momen type is better for this one. You don’t want your tofu melting away while stir-frying! That being said, feel free to experiment for yourself. And if you don’t have any naganegi on hand you can replace it with spinach or shungiku.
- 150 g beef thinly sliced
- 300 g firm tofu momen type
- 1 stalk naganegi (Welsh onion)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp sugar (A)
- 1 tbsp sake (A)
- 1 cup dashi (A)
- 1½ tbsp soy sauce (A)
- shichimi tougarashi to taste
- 「PREP」Cut the tofu into 4 equal parts. Cut the naganegi diagonally into thick pieces.
- Heat a frying pan over medium and add the sesame oil. Put in the beef and stir-fry until the colour changes, then add the naganegi.
- Once the negi starts changing colour, add the A ingredients one by one and simmer.
- Add the tofu, cover with a lid and simmer for 5 minutes, turning the tofu pieces occasionally to coat. Add shichimitougarashi to taste, and serve.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let us know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @oishiwashokurecipes on Instagram and hashtag it #oishiwashokurecipes.